This girl!

This girl!

Thursday, June 21, 2018

When new challenges are a good thing

Slowly but surely Sophia has been making a lot of progress since I started weaning her off the pharmaceuticals, her personality, laugh, curiosity and her mobility are back. All these gains bring new challenges but I never thought this could be a good thing. Before decreasing the meds, Sophia was so tired and drowsy that she would either be in my arms or laying on the couch so I didn't need to worry about her falling while walking or her getting into places she could get hurt. She wasn't playing with her toys at all so I didn't need to check if there were loose pieces on the floor, we would put her to bed and I was confident she would stay there even if she woke up too early because she wasn't moving much. Her bed time was 7:00 and sometimes she could barley make it because she was so tired and out of it that I didn't need to find things to do to keep her up.
Well, things are turning around, the other day Sophia fell because she was walking too fast with her walker and tripped, she had a big bump on her forehead and I was so upset until a good friend pointed out that the fall was actually a good thing: It happened because she was waking!! She was moving!! She is going to fall again and that's makes it so "typical" so "normal" that I am actually looking forward to worrying about bruises and bumps.
Now I find myself cleaning up toys all day long because Sophia is actually playing with them and exploring everything around the house, I can barely keep up with her and the minute I look the other way she is off to the kitchen or the bathroom.  Sophia is asking me to hold her hand and walk around the complex where we live and she is checking everything out, it's as if she is discovering the world for the fist time after waking up from a deep sleep. She is making me move all day and  that's such a beautiful reason to feel tired at the end of the day. Sophia is so not that rag doll she was when she on the full dose of the meds and she is so awake and alert that now we had to move her bedtime to later! She sits on her bed and laughs and talks until she finally falls asleep in a funny position. We even had to put a bed rail! All these new things to think about and worry about are the type of things I thought were not in the book for us but Sophia keeps surprising us every day and I am very excited to see what else she has in store for us.
So we are going to have to baby proof the house, find different activities to keep up with Sophia's energy and have the neosporin and ice packs ready, because the new challenges that come with having a kid that wants and works hard to make progress are the kind of challenges that I can't wait for.



No comments:

Post a Comment