This girl!

This girl!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Not everything is rainbows and butterflies...

A few weeks ago, I talked about how Sophia's orthopedist suggested a third hip surgery and how puzzled we were because we didn't want her to go through that again. Well, we saw an orthopedist at Children's Hospital yesterday for a second opinion, and he basically agreed that Sophia indeed needs another hip surgery. The difference is that this doctor explained a lot better why it's important for her to get this fixed. He gave us reasons that make sense.  He said that if she was going to be in a wheel chair for ever then he'll consider not to have her go through that, but since she wants to walk and is doing so well crawling and cruising she would really benefit from the surgery. I have always said that we would do anything and everything so Sophia can reach her potential and I mean it, we gotta do what we gotta do to help our little girl.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm not freaking out. It's always so difficult for Sophia to recover from the anesthesia and she always ends up in the ICU for few days and that scares me so much, I don't want to see her struggling for air or vomiting from the nausea. It's something really hard for me to see. But that's not what scares me the most. I know she would be in a hospital where there's nurses and doctors looking out for her, no, what scares me the most is when we are home and she is in a cast that goes from her chest to her ankles stopping her from playing and moving the way she wants. The doctor said she'd be in it anywhere from 3 to 6 months!! It freaks me out to think about her frustration for not being able to do what she wants, and my frustration for not being able to help her. Sophia has her personality and she wants what she wants and he sure lets us know when she doesn't like something, It scares me to death that I wont be patient enough to deal with both our frustrations. I am also mad, so mad because I don't want her to have a set back! not now that she has progressed so much and wants to keep going. It sucks! But... we have to do it. I know that.

Oh I need my mom so much! That's why I am going to try one more time to have her ask for the visa so she can come and help me during Sophia's recovery. But this time I'm doing something different. I am applying to become a citizen and see if that helps my moms case a bit. When the time comes, I'm going to ask all you to please pray, lit a candle, sent positive thoughts this way so she gets approve this time. That would mean so much to me. Thank you in advance!

On a positive note, I'm so grateful for the school system we have. As soon as I told Sophia's teacher all about the surgery, she started to look for ways to help us. She talked to Sophia's PT and I met with her today. She made me feel like we are not alone in this. She gave a lot of information about where to get help, equipment and services. She also told me that if we do the surgery at the end of the summer, Sophia would be able to go to school in the fall and that would give me a little break. I know they do this because of who Sophia is and because of how much they love her, but I also know they would do it for any of their students. We are so fortunate!

So I have very busy days ahead of me between getting ready for the citizenship test and getting all the things we are going to need for after the surgery. Also we are going to be very busy having a great summer, I 'm going to make sure my Sophia enjoys every minute before she is limited to a very few activities due to the cast. I will deal with rest when the time comes.

















1 comment:

  1. Nata que foto tan hermosa, y cada vez que escribes es tan hermoso como lo relatas la valentía que demuestras en tus palabras sin dejar de lado los sentimientos que te despiertan cada una de las acciones a tomar para el mejor futuro de Sofi.

    Es una tarea ardua la de ser padres pero en tu caso en particular es la muestra maravillosa de que el amor por los hijos no tiene limites, tu constante preocupación, afortunadamente has contado con apoyo de la escuela y de los médicos y de que estas en el lugar que debes estar.

    Orare desde hoy tu lo sabes hare toda la fuerza posible para que esta vez le den la oportunidad a tu mami de ir y poder estar contigo.

    Desde ya te envío toda mi energía y los mejores deseos a nuestra hermosa princesa.

    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete